The United Kingdom often referred to as the UK is a country located in northern Europe. It’s the fifth largest economy. The United Kingdom is divided into four different countries namely England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The capital city of the UK is London is the most visited country around the world with more than 4 lakhs tourist visits the city every year. There are more than 300 languages spoken in London. The education system in the United Kingdom is recognized and tested system. 90% of the students attend public schools and education is compulsory for all children from 6years to 16 years.
Solid reasons to study in the United Kingdom :
- Worldwide recognization: Degree from any of the United Kingdom University has an international value. These degrees are considered superior when compared to other country’s qualification.
- High-class Education: Majority of the international students opt to study in the UK because of the quality education that is provided by the universities. Even though the universities take the initiative to provide quality education there is also one agency named (QAA) Quality Assurance Agency for higher education’s which aims at offering good standard and quality of programs provided to the students.
- Working while studying: International students who land in the UK look for work opportunities during their study.
- Work Permit after study: The UK has made certain changes in work permit for students to post their study. The students have to change their visa from the Tier 2 visa to work permit visa.
- English speaking: The United Kingdom has the one of the most widely English speaking population around the globe.
Top Universities in the United Kingdom :
- The University of Oxford- ranks 5th
- The University of Cambridge – ranks 6th
- Imperial College London- ranks 8th
- University College Of London- ranks 10th
- The University of Edinburg- ranks 18th
- The University of Manchester- ranks 29th
- King’s College London- ranks 31th
- London School Of Economics and Political Science – ranks 38th
- The University of Bristol –ranks 51th
- The University of Warwick – ranks 54th
Education System :
In the United Kingdom, all the children are given compulsory education right from 5 years to 18 years of age. There are two types of education provided to the children either the parents enroll the child in a full-time education institution or chooses to home educate them before they attend the regular school. There are basically five stages of education early education, primary education, secondary education, further education or the higher education. Different parts of the united kingdom follow the different curriculum for the students. the education system in England and Wales follow a framework of the national curriculum while in Scotland curriculum of excellence programme and in northern Ireland common curriculum is followed.
There are three different educational institutions in the united kingdom starting with Primary education, Secondary Education and Higher Education.
The education system in the United Kingdom are generally called “key stages “
Key stage 1-children from 5 years to 7 years old.
Key stage 2- children from 7 years to 11 years old.
Key stage 3- children from 11 years to 14 years old
Key stage 4- children from 14 years to 16 years old.
Key stages 1 and 2 children are primary school goers, key stage 2 children will be attending secondary level and key stages 3 and 4 are for children who have completed secondary education and move to the high school level.
Children are assessed at every stage of the system. Important assessment (GCSE ) General Certificate of Secondary Education is taken when the child is 16 years old.
National Curriculum provides a framework for the education system in Wales and England between the ages of 5- 18 years.
Top courses in the United Kingdom :
- Actuarial science
- Paramedical science
- Computer science
- Sports psychology
- Medical and surgery
- Marine Sciences
Primary Education: the schools admit children for 5 years. This type of primary schools is divided into junior levels and infant. This education forms the basic foundational education for the children.
There are different groups at primary level:
Year R- a reception which starts from the age of 4-5
Year 1 – starts from 5 years- 6 years
Year 2 starts from 6 years- 7 years during this year of education the SAT tests are conducted for key stage 1.
Year 3 starts from 7 years- 8 years
Year 4 starts from 8 years – 9years
Year 5 starts from 9 years- 10 years
Year 6 starts from 10 years – 11 years during this year SAT tests are conducted for key stage 2.
Secondary Education: this education lasts for five years from 12 years to 16 years. The united kingdom government provided free education for all children in this stage of education. this stage is also called the lower secondary. Post completion of this stage students either take up vocational courses or attend upper secondary schools to prepare for university.
Teachers assess the kids generally after three years of secondary education. Based on this assessment students then take up subjects for the GCSE examinations. The tests are conducted in English, math, and science based on the area of interest students have to choose their fields of arts, humanities, languages and vocational studies etc. Students have an option of choosing to qualify them with diploma certificate or A level education. Students start preparing for their A-level exams when they are 12-13 years old. Upon passing the A-level Examination the students can choose the university of their choice.
Higher education: United Kingdom is a home to more than 100 universities which offers degree programs for the students around the globe. Most of the student in United Kingdom opt for higher education. More than half of the students from Scotland move united kingdom for higher education.
Hence the competition for the places in each university is quite high.
United kingdom generally offers three years undergraduate degree programs but they have also introduced a new course called “SANDWICH COURSE” the duration of this course is four years including one year of internship. Duration of courses differs for different courses like law, veterinary and medicine have graduate programs for five years.
How to Apply :
- Choosing the suitable course and university
- Tuition fees
- Non-EU student: full payment of tuition fees
- EU students same tuition as of british nationals.
- Check for scholarship eligibility in the universities.
- Basic language entry requirements such as IELTS,TOEFL
- Standard exams scores like the GRE,GMAT
The applications for the bachelors degree are submitted using the UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service ) application website.
Steps to apply through UCAS website:
- Create and register the application on the website.
- Students can apply maximum for five programs in the same or different universities in UK.
- Provide personal information.
- Previous educational Qualifications
- Financial information
- Write personal description.
- Few universities require additional test as an entry requirement like UKCAT or BMAT for medicinal courses and LNAT for legal studies.
- Submission of the application after completing the entire application process.
- Students who want to pursue their higher education can directly apply to the selected university. Majority of the universities accepts the applications for the courses throughout the year, whereas few universities have their own deadline for the courses.
- Students opting for masters can also apply through an online portal UKPASS system. The students can upload all the scanned copies of the required documents online and submit it.
Generally the degree courses are taught in English therefore its important to deliver a proof of English language proficiency unless you’re from English speaking country. The most commonly accepted language tests are TOEFL,IELTS and C1 advance.
UK has certain approved English language tests including IELTS and ISE( intergrated skills in English)
IELTS tests are accepted all around the world but ISE test is accepted only in UK.
- IELTS- minimum of 5.5 overall in all four modules like reading, writing and speaking.
- TOEFL- Minimum of 80-92 is required.
- PTE-55 with 51 minimum in each component
- C1 Advance and C2 Proficiency : minimum of 162 in each component
Academic Requirements for Undergraduate course:
- Minimum of 65% in Humanities stream in class 12th and 70-80% in science and commerce stream.
- Diploma programs- minimum 60%
Academic Requirements for Post graduate courses:
- Bachelors degree with minimum of 65%
- 2-3 years of Professional experience
Documents for Application :
- 10th,12th/degree mark sheets
- Filled Application form
- English language proficiency test scores.
- Statement of Purpose
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation
- Professional work experience (if applicable)
- Valid Passport
- Offer letter from the university as a evidence of Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (worth 30 points )
- English language skills
- Financial assistance during the stay in UK(worth 10 points)
- Students from Non-EU countries have to produce (ATAS)Academic technology approach scheme.
- Scholarships in UK
- Chevening scholarships
- Common wealth scholarships
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Rhodes Scholarships At University of Oxford
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
- Denys Holland Scholarship At University College London
- University of Sussex Chancellors International Scholarships
- Bristol University International Office Scholarships
- University Of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
- University of West England Chancellors Scholarships
- Sheffield Hallam University Transform Together Scholarships
- University of Westminster International Scholarships
- Warwick Chancellors International Scholarships
- Developing Solutions Scholarships at University of Nottingham
- University of Bradford Global Development Scholarships