USA -The Land of Dreams
The United States of America is the 3rd largest country in terms of landscape in North America and it is the third largest in terms of population with 318 million people. The United States consists of 50 states.
The USA is bordered by Oceans like the Atlantic Ocean on the East and Pacific Ocean on the West and The USA also shares its borders with two countries and Mexico to the South and Canada to the North.
The United States has the largest economy in the world which constitutes 25% of the world’s nominal GDP. The US is the home to various kinds of inventions such as an internet, the light bulb, the air plane and the cell phone. Did you know the current flag of the United States of America was designed by a 17-year-old!
The United States is the only country in the world that has set a foot on the moon. NASA is the government organisation which is the first organisation for space exploration.
Here are 7 reasons why you should study in the USA:
- Quality Education with international recognition:
US education is well known and recognized in the world. Top 30 universities around the world are located in the US. The universities provide a wide range of degree and courses in all academic fields. US degrees are universally accepted around the world for their excellence.
- Employment prospectus:
Most of the international students can work up to 20 hours a week only on campus.
International students take up jobs such as library monitor, teaching assistant, tour guide, peer tutor, university bookstore assistant etc.
- Support Service for International Students:
Many international students who move to the USA initially find it difficult to adapt to the cultural and academic environment. The aim of this to assist the international student regarding the wide range of student services that are provided to them. This support service provides information regarding accommodation, visa status, and career opportunities.
- Diverse culture :
US universities have major great importance on the diversity of all students from different religion, culture, and languages. This provides a stimulation and rich learning environment for multicultural students.
Most of the classes consist of 20 students and professors get to know about every student in order to support them outside the classroom.
- English speaking country: since there is no official language which spoken in the USA. All the courses are taught in English .most of the US campus offer English language courses for international students.
- Academic excellence :Around 80% of the World research is happening in the USA. As they are at the forefront of scientific and creatively innovative. Large research institutes in the US offer opportunities for students to work with professors.
EDUCATION SYSTEM IN USA:
There are three levels of Higher Education in the US:
- First level- Undergraduate: It usually takes four years to complete a bachelor’s degree in any university or college. You can earn a bachelors degree from a community college or from any university. In the first two years of the study, the students will be required to take a variety of classes in different subjects known as prerequisite courses like literature, science, social science, and arts. This is just to provide general knowledge of all the foundation subjects prior. The unique characteristic of the American education system is that you can change your major multiple times. The American education system is too flexible.
- Second level- Master’s Degree: the graduate program for masters usually takes one or two years.
Credit : Universities in USA offer courses based on credits . All the programs are awarded certain number of credits of fixed hours. Every course is offered which worth from three to five credits.
All the programs which are offered on a full time basis are awarded 12-15 credit hours.
Students can also use these credits are used for to transfer from degree program to another program.
STATE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY:
These institutions are run or operates by the local or state government. All the 50 states of the United States have at least one University or College which is named after that particular state.Roughly 85% of the students attend the state run college or universities. This system also provides General education development (GED) which will help the students to pursue higher education or get job.
PRIVATE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY:
There are approximately 1,800 private institutions which offer 4 year degree programs and 600 institutions which 2 year degree programs for students. Harvard University is the best private University in the United States.
Community College offers two year degree programs like Diplomas, Certificates and Associate Degrees which are transferable. These colleges are also known as junior colleges.Colleges offer programs at reasonable tuition cost for students. The Walla Walla Community College which is situated in Washington tops the list of best community colleges in US.
INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY:
From the 18th century the institute of technology have growing rapidly across the country. This institute offers four year degree programs in science and technology along with many short term courses.
Top 10 Universities in the USA:
- The University of Pennsylvania- ranks 19th
- Columbia University- ranks 16th
- Yale University- ranks 15th
- Cornell University – ranks 14th
- Princeton University- ranks 13th
- The University of Chicago- ranks 10th
- California Institute of Technology – ranks 4th
- Harvard University- ranks 3rd
- Stanford University- ranks 2nd
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)- ranks 1st
List of the top courses available in the USA
- Business Management
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Physical & Life Science
How to Apply :
- All the Universities have online applications available in the website for the students to apply.
- Language requirements like IELTS,TOEFL etc.
- Apply to Minimum of 2-4 universities.
- Most of the Universities charge application fee which ranges from $75-$100.
Two Major Intakes- January and September
Documents for Application :
- High school and University mark sheets.
- Test scores (SAT, GRE, GMAT)
- Proof of English-language proficiency
- Motivation letter or Statement of Purpose
- Application fee
- Writing Sample
- Passport photo
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR UG:
- Humanities stream- minimum of 65% is required in 12th std
Science stream- minimum of 70%-80%
Diploma- minimum of 60%
- IELTS score- minimum 6.0
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR PG:
GPA- minimum requirement 3 out of 4.
MEDICAL IN USA :
There are 172 colleges in USA which offer medical courses like Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (MO) degree. It takes roughly 10-13 years to become a doctor in the US which includes a bachelor’s degree, attending 4 years of medical school and also complete 3- 7 year of a residency program after the medical school.Students can not apply for medicine post 12th since there is no MBBS course in the USA. One has to complete Basic Science and then take MCAT- Medical College Admission Test.
List of Top Medical Colleges in the USA
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of California, LA
- University of California, San Francisco
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN USA:
MS is one of the best course in the world for advanced study in engineering or science as it is the most rewarding career.
Top colleges in the US.
- Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (MIT) Offers MS In Computer Science & Information Systems, Chemical, Civil & Structural, Electrical & Electronic.
- Stanford University Offers MS In Computer Science, Information Systems, Chemical, And Civil.
- Harvard University Offers MS In Computer Science, Information Systems, Electric, And Electronic.
- University Of California, Berkeley Offers MS In Computer Science And Information Systems.
- University Of Texas Offers MS In Chemical And Civil.
- California Institute Of Technology Offers MS In Chemical.
- University Of California (LA) Offers MS In Electronic And Electrical.
- University Of Michigan Offers MS In Mechanical, Aeronautical, And Manufacturing.
Documents Required for F1 Student Visa:
Mandatory documents along with supporting documents of financial and academic records.
- Valid Passport
- Online application form
- Interview appointment letter.
- Visa fees payment confirmation receipt
- Financial support.
- Original mark sheet certificates
- Scoresheet of exams like GMAT, TOEFL,IELTS, etc.
List of Scholarships for International Students studying in the USA
- Avvo Scholarship Program.
- Berkeley College International Student Scholarships.
- Berkeley International Application Form.
- Cappex American Scholarships.
- CDTrader Scholarship.
- College Week Live.
- Federal Student Aid Types.
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
- Global Scholarships for International Students.
- Organization of American States – The Leo S. Rowe Pan American Fund.
- The BrokerFish Scholarship for University Students.
- The Ultimate Scholarship Guide.